8 Things You Didn't Know About Claudia Moruzzi March 14, 2017 17:40
Currently I’m sitting in Camps Bay visiting friends, with a panoramic view of the ocean which keeps distracting me from my work. And what a glorious thing to be distracted by!
It was my 41st birthday last week and I thought it a good idea to take stock. I find I tend to be really hard on myself, always wanting to do more and more, that I never pause to consider what I have already achieved, what I really love and what makes me, well, me.
So it’s quite obvious I love sleep and I’m a designer, but here are a few other things you may not know about me…
- I’m really good at mimicking animal sounds. Granted it’s not a very useful skill these days, but maybe in a zombie apocalypse it’ll come in handy. My specialties are horses, hadidas and monkeys. And even though they’re not strictly part of the animal kingdom, I do a really great banshee.
- I’m vegan and a teensy bit of a kitchen nerd. Often when I’ve been to a restaurant and really loved a dish, I sit and try to figure out the ingredients and try to recreate it at home. I also love having dinner guests over. My favourites are hardened meat eaters. I love it when the meal is so delicious that they don’t even realize they haven’t eaten any flesh!
- I practice Indian classical singing. I have a background in performing arts and after a long break, I decided to take up a few related skills. Having had singing training in Western music, I find the subtle differences absolutely fascinating and incredibly challenging. I love the sense of peace the music evokes in me.
- On the other end of the scale, I take pole dancing classes. With my dance training I always felt that my legs were very strong and trustworthy, but my upper body was quite weak. I cannot bear the idea of going to gym, so I thought pole dancing would be the answer. It’s ended up being one of my greatest joys. It’s fantastic to see how your muscles respond and strengthen from the time when you first start trying out a trick, to mastering it and defying gravity.
- I studied sugar art and can make tiny, delicate flowers out of sugar paste. In fact, I love all things baking and decorating. Any chance I get, I bake birthday or special events cakes. Whether they’re wanted or not!
- I have a weird love of country and bluegrass music. Don’t ask me where on earth this came from. I can’t explain it, and I don’t often admit to it. But you know what they say…a problem shared is a problem halved!
- I’m really awkward at parties. I’m the weirdo in the corner too tongue-tied to make conversation with anyone. I’m envious of people who walk into a room with absolute confidence and are able to engage with anyone. It’s a skill I really wish I had. Perhaps I should’ve spent more time socializing in my teens than reading.
- I used to steal my mother’s garlic. I come from an Italian family, so garlic is a big part of my life. I would take garlic from the kitchen and hide it in my bedside drawer. It drove my mom crazy that she never had garlic when she needed it, and when tidying my room one day, she found my stash. Why I was stockpiling, I couldn’t tell you. And I certainly have no idea what I intended to do with it. If I could go back in time, that’s one thing I’d really like to find out!
So after that really long ramble about myself, I’d really love to know what makes you, you. Comment and share!